54 Squadron RFC arrived at St Omer today to reinforce the RFC on the Western Front. The Squadron was formed at Castle Bromwich in May 1916 and initially tasked with Home Defence duties flying BE2c’s and Avro 504s. In August 1916, Captain Kelham Kirk Horn, an Australian, was appointed Commanding Officer and it re-equipped with Sopwith Pups in preparation for its new role as a fighter squadron.
Captain Horn is now leading the Squadron to the front where it will be used initially as a bomber escort squadron. It is the first RFC Squadron to be equipped with the Pup. A number of RNAS squadrons have already been using the aircraft and despite its novelty to the RFC it is already beginning to be made obsolete by the new German types.