Since December 1915 the RFC has been operating a School of Instruction (No. 1), at Reading on land belonging to the University of Reading. A similar school (No 2) was opened at Oxford in April 1916.
Today both were renamed Schools of Mlitary Aeronautics (No 1 at Reading and No 2 at Oxford) and their role expanded to include cadet pilot and observer training.
The schools are the second step in aircrew training. Recruits spent six weeks in basic training and then move to the schools to begin instruction in the principles of flight, airframes and engines. Once they had passed here, pilots are sent to one of the flying schools.