The Kite Balloon Ship HMS Canning arrived in the Dardannelles today to replace the HMS Manica which has left for Liverpool to be refitted.
She joins the Kite Balloon Ship HMS Hector in the peninsula to assist the fleet with bombardments.
The Canning is an improved version of the type – its main innovation is a large hold space enabling the balloon to be stored in the inflated condition.
The ship was originally built in for the Liverpool, Brazil & River Plate Steam Navigation Co Ltd with whom she served as a transport before being purchased by the Admiralty on 28 June 1915. She was then commissioned as a Kite Balloon Ship.